Getting into a car accident can be an intense and very unfortunate situation. Not only do you have to deal with car damage, monetary challenges but also, psychosocial and mental damage as well. It’s easy to overlook critically important items when filing a car accident claim.
- The number one most common mistake, is the critically important to ensuring you get your claim resolved fairly. TAKE PICTURES! Document the accident. Get more information than you think you might need. While it may feel like the police officer’s job, get witness testimonies, and be sure to get contact information for the witness should you need their statement later on.
- If you were injured or think you might be experiencing pains, or uncomfort due to the accident, be sure to seek medical help immediately. In order to claim medical expenses, and get the biggest return possible, you cannot wait to seek medical attention. Like many people, you probably don’t enjoy spending time at the doctor’s office, but for your claim it’s beneficial that you visit the doctor as soon as possible after an accident.
- Although you make think it’s easier to not deal with Personal Injury Lawyers and car accident attorney, the truth is, they know what they’re doing and they have the expertise to handle your claim fairly and quickly. Dealing with insurance adjusters can be a pain, and remember, they’re working for the insurance company, not you. Your car accident attorney will be representing you. Working as a team with your attorney will allow you the best possible outcome when filing a car accident claim.
- Consulting your attorney prior to giving your statement to the insurance adjuster is a big no-no. The adjuster may try to get statements out of you that hinder the truth about the accident. Your attorney can help you tell an accurate telling of what happened at the time of the accident.
- Reading documents is a crucial part to filing a car accident claim. Be sure to read and re-read all documents before you sign anything. It’s imperative that you seek legal advice prior to signing, to ensure that you are fully aware of everything in the document. Be sure to hang on to all documents, expenses, etc. after the accident. Keeping poor records makes it hard to get the best claim possible.
- Lastly, don’t settle too quickly. Many folks just want to move on and forget about what’s happened, but it’s important to not settle too quickly in order for the best claim. If you’ve done your due diligence and found the best possible auto accident lawyers, they should be able to handle everything quickly and painlessly for you.
The Fort Collins Lawyers at Hoggatt Law Office are specialized in auto accident claims, personal injury claims, workers compensation, and social security disability. If you’ve been involved in an car accident in Northern Colorado, be sure to contact the Fort Collins Auto Accident Lawyers at Hoggatt Law Office for the best possible representation.